Martha Stewart in all her Martha glory came up with a bacon jam recipe. Her version called for coffee but I made a coffee free version and decided to make my bacon jam with herbal tea, Sweet & Spicy from Good Earth
For all you skeptics bacon jam is not weird, it’s exquisitely full of flavor and crunch. It’s delicious and I served it on top of brie cheese for our recipe exchange party last Saturday and it was a hit.
- 1 lbs bacon, cut crosswise into 1″ pieces
- 2 medium yellow onions, diced small
- 1/3 cup cider vinegar
- 1/3 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup pure maple syrup
- 3/4 cup Sweet & Spicy tea from Good Earth
- Cook bacon over med-high heat until fat is rendered and slightly browned.
- Transfer bacon to paper towels to drain.
- Pour off all but 1 tablespoon fat from skillet and add onions, cook until onions are translucent. Add vinegar, brown sugar, syrup, and tea and bring to a boil, stirring and scraping up browned bits from skillet.
- Add bacon and stir to combine.
- Transfer mixture to 6qt slow cooker and cook on high, uncovered until liquid is syrupy–about 4 hours.
- Transfer to food processor; pulse until coarsely chopped.
- Let cool, then refrigerate in airtight containers up to 4 weeks.