S’mores Snickerdoodles Because August is For S’mores!
And if we’re being honest, all of summer is for S’mores! Maybe all year!
The thing is, though, there is something special about August and we all know it. There’s a subtle shift in the atmosphere almost immediately. The nights sound different – and full of insect and frog orchestras. The light is different, and there is the slightest chill in the air that wasn’t there in sweltering July. It’s poetic, isn’t it? It’s magic. Summer Night Magic. And such a reason to light up a (safe) fire outside and make some S’mores. When it’s raining or you’d rather have fire-less S’mores, have no fear. I have a recipe for you! I assure you that S’mores Snickerdoodles are the real deal.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees and grease your cookie sheet.
- In a mixing bowl combine shortening, your 1 and 1/2 cups of sugar, and eggs. Set aside.
- In another mixing bowl, mix flour baking soda, salt, and cream of tarter.
- Slowly add flour mixture to sugar mixture and blend until smooth.
- Roll dough into 1 – 2 inch balls.
- Mix sugar and cinnamon and roll each ball in mixture.
- Place on cookie sheet and bake for about 8 minutes, or until golden.
- Let cool completely and place a marshmallow on top of each cookie.
- Broil in oven for 45 seconds, and place a Hershey bar on the top of each marshmallow.
- Serve and enjoy!
And that’s it! They’re best served warm and fresh from the broiler, and I’ve never met a better crowd pleaser. I mean, who doesn’t love Snickerdoodles? And who doesn’t love S’mores? Having them together like this? Pure summer inspiration. Time to embrace the last half of summer.