Your Tween Guide for Warm Winter Gear
Honestly, there is no place we’d rather go for winter gear than Target!
It can be tougher with tweens. Gone are the days of poring through the toddler section and easily picking out one, two, three amazing options for your little one! Tweens are tougher because they have opinions on everything – from gloves (because mittens are so preschool) to all of the complexities of coats. Zippers, buttons, length, warmth, liner – it’s all important! We decided to give the winter gear a test drive WITH a tween. Here’s a step by step to shopping winter gear for tweens:
- Look through your tween’s closet and make a list of the clothes she has and the clothes she wants. Be specific on your shopping list to make the trip easier.
- After you take winter gear inventory, make sure you also check for items they may have stashed into drawers or shoved into corners. These items might still have use in them!
- Take a look at what you have and size up what can be handed down to a little sibling or cousin.
- Browse online first at Target.com.
- Take your checklist for winter gear: Coat, Snow Pants, Boots, Scarf, Hat, Gloves, Warm Sweater, etc.
- Take your tween to try everything on!
Here are the two coats we chose, as seen above:
Girls’ 3-in-1 System Jacket C9 Champion® Teal
Girls’ Faux Wool Military Jacket – Cat & Jack™ Navy
How do you choose a good winter coat for your tween? There are a few rules of thumb and you’ll want them to try it on first. Have your tween practice zipping or buttoning the coat to make sure he or she can do it without your help. Choose a strong, well-made zipper or buttons. Choose a coat that isn’t too long. Choose deep pockets. Kids love pockets! As for the rest, here’s what you’ll need and here’s what we chose, from all of the winter gear essentials for tweens!
A basic beanie hat they can wear all winter long.
Girls’ Star Glitter Pom Beanie – Cat & Jack™ Cream
Girls’ Marled Stripe Peruvian Hat – C9 Champion®
A warm scarf. We loved this one:
Girls’ Scarf – Cat & Jack™ Pink/Orange
Toasty gloves with fingers! We loved these:
Girls’ Printed Lights Color Block Ski Glove – C9 Champion®
Freestyle by Danskin Girls Leg Warmers – Pink One Size
Fuzzy Warm Sweaters For The Win!
Girls’ Long sleeve Long Cardigan – Cat & Jack™ Cream
A Solid Pair of Waterproof Boots
Girls’ Itasca™ Snow Scamp Boots
A good pair of thermal underwear
Girls’ Thermal Underwear Set – C9 Champion®